Friday, June 11, 2010
brown butter chocolate chip cookies
“Take-Jacques-Torres-Out-Back” Chocolate Chip Cookie
Cook’s Illustrated 2009 Cookbook (May and June 2009 issue)
* 1 3/4 cps unbleached ap flour (8 1/4 ounces or 250 grams)
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 14 tbsps unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks or 200 grams)
* 1/2 cup white sugar (3 1/2 ounces or 100 grams)
* 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces or 150 grams)
* 1 tsp table salt
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 large egg
* 1 large egg yolk
* 1 1/4 cps good quality chocolate chips
* 3/4 cp chopped pecans (optional)
1. Adjust oven rack to the middle and pre-heat oven to 375F degrees (191C)
2. Whisk flour and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside
3. Heat 10 tbsps (140 grams) butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Continue cooking, swirling constantly until butter is dark brown and has nutty aroma.
4. Remove butter from heat and place in a heat proof bowl.
5. Add remaining butter (60 grams or 4 tbsps).
6. Once butter has melted completely, add sugars, sat and vanilla to bowl.
7. Stir everything together. You’ll notice it’s rather grainy and the butter wants little to do with its new friends.
8. That’s okay, now add the egg and egg yolk. It will help them all get along. Stir together to ensure there aren’t any sugar lumps.
9. Allow mixture to sit for 3 minutes. Come back, stir again. Starting to get along now, right?
10. Allow to sit again for another 3 minutes. Come back, stir again. You should now have a lovely, relatively smooth mixture.
11. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture.
12. Add chocolate chips.
13. Bake for 10 minutes.